• Classroom and Driving Policies
  • What do I bring to class?
  • How do I get my Learners License?
  • What is a TEA/VOE form?
  • Parents must prove Texas Residency
  • Parents must prove relationship with student
  • Where is my Learners License?
  • What are the classrooms like?
  • What forms of payment are accepted?
  • What is a graduated license?
  • What is the grading policy?
  • How do I schedule my road test for my Drivers License?
  • Can I drive out of state with my Learners License?

Classroom and Driving Policies:

CLASSROOM (32 Hours)

Each class and driving time is 2 hours long. Classroom hours will be at the same time each day. Depending on the schedule you choose, you will participate in a 3 week class Monday-Friday and one Saturday morning on the third week. Or if you take a fall class, you will attend a 4 week class Monday-Thursday.

DRIVING (7 hrs Driving, 7 hrs Observation In-Car)

You will have 7 lessons, 2 hours per lesson.


If you need to change or cancel a drive time you must sign into your Drive Time Reservation account. Drive times for Tuesday - Saturday must be cancelled 24 hours in advance. Sunday, Monday or holiday drive times must be cancelled the previous business day. Example. Sunday drives must be cancelled the previous Friday by 3:00 pm.


A student may miss a total of 5 days of class without being dropped from the course (this is a Texas law, not ours.) Each missed class must be made-up.

Example: If a student misses Lesson 6 they can make up day 6 when the next scheduled class begins. You can visit our Make Up Classes page for a list of make up dates and times. You have 180 days from the date you started class to complete all makeup work. If you do not complete the makeup work TEA requires us to cancel the student’s permit.


Students have 180 days (6 months) to complete the course. This includes the classroom, make-up lessons and behind-the-wheel. The 180 day start date will be from the first day of class. (This is a Texas Education Agency rule.)

What do I bring to class?

  • Pen and paper (Everyday!)
  • Course tuition
  • Arrive 20 minutes early on first day to complete paperwork if you haven’t done so already

How do I get my Learners License?

Learner’s License--also known as an Instruction Permit. Once you complete the first 6 hours of classroom training (the first 3 days) and are between the ages of 15-18, you are qualified to apply for your Learner’s License.

  • In order for your student to obtain a Learner’s License, you will need to take the following to the DPS:
  • Student’s birth certificate (original or certified copy only) or US passport or Resident Alien Card
  • Social Security Card-Original
  • TEA/VOE form (Texas Education Agency/Verification of Enrollment) This is the 80-day form the DPS requires to prove your student has been enrolled in school for the last 80 days
  • Parent’s proof of Texas residency (2 documents-see below)
  • Parent’s proof of relationship to student (see below)
  • Parent will sign Texas Residency Affidavit at the DPS

What is a TEA/VOE form?

A TEA/VOE form is obtained from the school where your student is enrolled (usually at the front office.) The form provides documentation to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) of the student’s enrollment and attendance status. A student must be enrolled in school before they are allowed to receive an Instruction Permit. The VOE is only valid for 30 days during the school year. For summer classes, students should ask their high school for the VOE form the LAST week of school. By doing this the form will be valid all summer.

Parents must prove Texas residency

Beginning April 2, 2012 Parents and Students must provide 2 documents proving they are Texas Residents before the teen is eligible to obtain a permit or license. Parents must also sign a Texas Residency Affidavit at the DPS office.

Acceptable documents for parents (2 are needed):

  • Texas voters registration card
  • Texas auto registration or title
  • Auto insurance policy or statement
  • Homeowners insurance policy
  • Utility or cable bill (not more than 90 days old)
  • Bank statement
  • Pre-printed checks
  • Note: The name on the bills/statements must be the name of the parent accompanying the student to the DPS.

Parents must prove relationship with student

Beginning April 2, 2012 Parents must prove their relationship to the student before student will be issued a permit or license.

Acceptable documentation includes, but are not limited to:

  • Marriage license
  • Birth certificate
  • Military dependent ID card
  • Adoption records

Where is my learners license?

The temporary Learner’s License is valid for 30 days. If you have not received your Learner’s License in the mail by the 3rd week, you can track it by visiting: www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlstatusCheck.htm. Remember, if you drive with an expired paper permit you can receive a citation for an invalid license.

What are the classrooms like?

Our classroom is designed to give the student a fun and relaxing environment. State of the art equipment ensures that they receive up-to-date training.

What forms of payment are accepted?

MasterCard, Visa, and Personal Checks. You may pay in full, but if you prefer to make several payments, you can divide the cost in 1, 2 or 3 payments, due each Monday of class. Subsequent payments are due on the following Monday classes. Payment must be made in full before the 15th day of class. If payment is not made, the student may not attend the last day of class and a $25.00 late payment fee will be applied.

What is a Graduated License?


What is the grading policy?

Appropriate standards shall be implemented to ascertain the progress of the students. Progress standards shall meet the requirements of the currently adopted state curriculum guide.

Mastery is a prerequisite to awarding a grade of 70 or above. Evidence of mastery shall be determined by one or more of the following methods:

  1. Daily classroom grades
  2. Class Participation
  3. Written Assignments
  4. In-Car Skills
  5. Comprehensive Examinations of Knowledge & Skills

How do I schedule my road test for my license?

You are now able to schedule your Road Test with the DPS online. Go Here You can search by City or County, then select "Schedule Driving Test Online."


You can schedule your appointment BEFORE your 6 month and/or 16th birthday time limit, but the appointment date must be AFTER your 6 month/16th birthday hold date. (This date is located on the back of your permit.)

You must visit the DPS the day before your scheduled test to turn in your required documents. (This date must also be AFTER your 6 month/16th birthday hold date.)

You must provide your own car for your Road Test. Your car must have current liability insurance, vehicle registration and vehicle inspection. Good Luck!

Can I drive out of State with my Learners License?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions of new drivers. It’s also hard to answer. While Texas will allow you to drive in another state with a Learners License, the following states ban permitted drivers: Arizona, District of Columbia, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Vermont. Because policies do change it is best to contact the DMV or DPS in the states you are planning to visit.

ITTD - Required by DPS

ITTD - Impact Texas Teen Drivers. Effective November 17, 2014 teens who have been issued a DE-964 are required to take ITTD and receive a certificate from the DPS before taking their drive test examination. For more information and to register visit their website